4.29.2011

Flashback Friday

Maybe it's all the talk of the Royal Wedding (which I missed) but I am feeling romantic.  So beware of some major cheesiness below.

Before we were married, or dating, and even before we were friends - Steve was already a huge part of my life.  We just so happened to attend the same college and know a lot of the same people.  We knew each other but didn't, you follow?  Steve used to study in the college library.  So did I.  However I wasn't studying my books.  I was busy 'studying' the hunk sitting at the other table.  Little did I know then that the hunk was my future husband.  Sure I probably thought about it, but young girls imagine being married to everyone right?

Eventually we were properly introduced and started to build a friendship.  The crush faded and we became pretty tight friends, maybe even best friends.  Whenever I had a problem or a question - I'd go to Steve.  Whenever I was sad - I'd go to Steve.  Then one day he told me he was moving to South Korea.  I thought no big deal - friends leave.  I thought this until the day he left.  I remember saying goodbye - driving away - turning the corner - and pulling over and breaking down.  I remember thinking WTF was that about?!" This was goodbye number one.

Well turns out I missed him so much that I went to South Korea for a visit.  We started 'dating'.  But I had plans to spend a year in Australia (that's a story for another time).  The day before I left, Steve and I went to Seoul and decided to grab a beer at the Top Cloud Restaurant in the Jongno Tower.  It was the most expensive beer I had  ever purchased in Korea.  But it was worth it because of the company I got to enjoy it with. This was our second goodbye and the moment I realized it wouldn't be our last. 

{Edit: Date should read Seoul | 2003}

Feeling nostalgic?  Or romantic? Head on over to Christopher and Tia ,the lovely hostess, and share or creep (whatever you're into) Flashback Friday stories.

3 comments:

  1. Aw!! That is a beautiful story!! <3

    My husband and I are from different countries and were separated for a while in our dating days... which led to our engagement because we couldn't bear to be apart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great story! Came over from FBF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way that you wrote it gave me chills. Ah, young love!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.