5.06.2011

Flashback Friday | Suwon

This morning Steve asked me if I wanted to venture off into the Beach[es] this Saturday {to walk around, get some lunch, and partake in some much needed patio-hopping [insert drink beer in the sun]}.  If you aren't aware, Torontonians (people from Toronto) are huge patio connoisseurs and rightfully so since we only get to enjoy their awesomeness for roughly 4 months of the year. It's safe to say that I have been spending some time this morning planning out our stops. 

But this got me thinking about how Steve and I used to spend all our Saturdays when we were living in South Korea. We would wake up, order pizza from Domino's {for brunch}, and then hit the Seoul Subway.  Except there was never a plan. We would look up at the Subway map and then choose a destination and figure out how to get there.   Sometimes our routes were simple - sometimes crazy complex. I mean look at this subway map - it's seriously impressive!


One of the most memorable excursions was the trip to Suwon.  It was a cold winter day (nothing compared to Canadian winters, but still cold nonetheless), so we got bundled up and headed out on Steve's first motorbike {I'll dig up a photo at some point to show you} to Beomgye station and then took the subway to Suwon City. 

Our intention was to wander around the city for a few hours and but primarily we were there to check out the Hwaseong Fortress aka the Suwon Wall {to save you a history lesson click the link to get some background info if you're interested} We ended up walking the entire perimeter of the wall, all 5.52 km.  I remember it being so cold but we were having so much fun that I didn't even care.  Well I am sure I complained a little.   We even rang the bell that can be heard all over the city - pretty awesome.  I long for more days like those.


It's funny looking back at these pictures since I still, to this day, wear that toque, scarf and coat.  What can I say, I am a sucker for nostalgia.

Are you also a nostalgia junky?  If so check out Christopher and Tia for Flashback Fridays.  

4 comments:

  1. And I thought the skytrain in OUR city was bad! Guess I shouldn't complain! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound like some awesome Saturday's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cute pics! Looks like you were having a blast!
    Thanks for stopping by SHE'S CRAFTY, and for reading my looooong letter.
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the subway! Traveling underground and popping out somewhere new. That map looks so impressive. Cute hat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.