10.03.2011

Pre-Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving!

Have you ever cooked a turkey dinner?  Until this weekend the answer was no.  Since we celebrate Thanksgiving in October in Canada I decided enough was enough - it was time to bust out my domestic skills and attempt this massive meal.  So this weekend we invited over a few friends to test out my attempt to cook a full turkey dinner.  And guess what? I succeeded (kind-of)! 

My day started at 7:30 a.m.  (if you know me - you will know that this is incredibly early for me) with Grocery Gateway delivering my groceries.  I know so lazy, right?  But seriously - I hate grocery shopping and would much rather order it online and have someone drop it off at my house.   It's amazing!  And convenient - and I know you are all totally jealous.  Well, I was so excited that I couldn't fall back asleep so I decided to get to work - and start baking an apple pie.  All this before 9:00 a.m. on a Saturday, I am seriously impressed with myself. 

After my pie was baked Steve and I ran out to grab a few last minute things - and headed back home so I could continue to endlessly Google 'How to cook a turkey'.  Have you ever Googled this?  There are so many methods - I opted for a an easy thyme and sage rub.  I also decided to cook the stuffing separately - since I am a 'vegetarian' after all.  While the turkey was cooking I cut the vegetables and set the table (my favourite part).  The night before I quickly sewed up the table runner and made the little pumpkin candle holders (awesome Pinterest find).  Cute, eh?


Three and half hours later - I realized my timing was all off - even though I thought I was doing awesome.  I planned for us to eat at 7:00 p.m. and we ended up eating at 8:30 p.m.  Not too terrible - luckily the boys kept themselves entertained with YouTube and my lovely friend Caitlin helped me in the kitchen. A few phone calls to my mother-in-law and one burnt pot later - we were all seated at our tiny Ikea 'dining' table ready to dig in. 


The reaction to the meal was positive - people even went back for seconds.  Phew!!


I don't think I will attempt to cook such a large meal on my own ever again - but I am totally pumped that I crossed that goal off my list. 

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Good job! Even gravy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nom.nom.nom.

    This looks incredible! It looks like you had good company too :) I hope they left you some leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Good job Martha Stewart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! You'd be surprised how good you become with more practice. :) And I can't tell you how many meals we eat much later than I planned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! You'd be surprised how good you become with more practice. :) And I can't tell you how many meals we eat much later than I planned!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.