1.16.2012

An Attempt at Menu Planning

You wouldn't know it if you've been around here awhile - but I love to cook.  A lot.  I have a plethora of cookbooks and one of my favourite past-times is grabbing a coffee and searching around for hours in two of my favourite kitchen supply stores; IQ Living and The Cooks Place.  Seriously - let me know if you ever want to check them out.  I also love aprons and wish I had more excuses to tie one on.

But this past year I got in a serious cooking funk.  I have concluded that this is because I wasn't eating meat.  If Steve could survive off of chicken wings I think he would so the lack of meat in our dinners really made cooking a challenge {and uninteresting} for him. It got to the point that we very rarely cooked dinners at home.  Not only bad for our wallets - but terrible for our health {and waistlines}.  Also I missed being in the kitchen.  Even though it's time consuming - it's a great way to unwind after a long day at work.  

After long consideration I made the decision a few months back to introduce some meat back into my diet.  It wasn't easy but I am a lady who is way to busy and on the go to be able to properly eat a healthy vegetarian diet.  I am upset that I wasn't able to keep up and commit longer to vegetarianism - but it got to the point where I was putting my health at risk.  So alas - a vegetarian dropout. 

My friend Randalin at Harvesting Kale has been posting some of her meal plans {her last post included pictures} and they seriously make me envious {and hungry}.  Envious because I want to create such beautiful & delicious meals. So, I decided that enough was enough. Last night I sat down with the newest issue of 'Clean Eating Magazine' and tried to find some quick, healthy and clean dinners for the week. I eventually took to their website until I confirmed five dinners.   Five brand new recipes.   Yikes.

I have had this chalkboard in our kitchen for quite sometime - but it has primarily been used as a place to hold mail, junk, and anything that didn't have a home.  It always looks so cluttered and unorganized - so I cleared it off and claimed this our menu station and marked down our first menu of the year.  Steve decided to remind me that the weekends are reserved for pizza - did I mention he likes pizza too?  It's insane.

{iPhone Pic}




Here is what's on the menu for this week {if you can't read my messy script above}:
  • Spicy Tuna Melts
  • Grilled Chicken with Broccoli Florets 
  • Country-fried Steak with Mushroom Gravy
  • Zucchini, Tomato and Fresh Herb Fettuccine 
  • Smothered Cheeseburgers

While searching around the web for 'How to meal plan?' I came upon this linkup - 'Menu Plan Monday' hosted on orgjunkie.com.  I thought this would be a perfect way to keep me accountable.  Because lets be honest - if I'm not accountable it probably wont happen.   Plus there are tons of tips and links to other menu plans across the blogosphere making my journey that much simpler.  Hopefully I can share some of my successes and failures and get inspired to cook more.

In the meantime if you have any great menu planning sites or recipes - send them my way.  And don't forget to wish me luck. 

Oh yeah, and check out orgjunkie.com for some menu planning inspiration of your own.


6 comments:

  1. Mmmmm sounds good! D and I may be inviting ourselves over ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, everything sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your menu plan sounds delicious!! Kudos to you for being so organized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for meal planning! I just started doing this a few months ago! Your meals sound yummy and I love the chalkboard! I might have to check out the meal plan link up...I need the accountability too! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that chalkboard..I think I would write on it everyday if I had one like that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! So glad you're doing this. Even though I found the actual planning process to take me forever some weeks, it's all worth it in the end. Not only do we eat out less and eat healthier, but we have waaaay less waste at the end of the week. And now that you're menu planning, I can come over to your blog and steal your idea's!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.