1.23.2012

Meal Plan: Jan23-Jan29

I am sure impressed with myself as I was able to stick to our meal plan - well almost.  If you missed my big long spiel about it check that our here. Not only did we manage to make three out of the five meals - but Steve and I cooked them together.  We didn't come up with any excuses about why we should order take out.  We DIDN'T argue about what to eat for dinner.  This is reward enough.

When selecting our meals for the week - I took to Clean Eating Magazine.  I have read a bit about clean eating and have heard other bloggers rave about it.  I like the idea of cleaning eating since, from what I gather, involves cooking with fresh, natural products.  I have for years now tried to stray from the centre of the grocery store and only shop the perimeter. Occasionally I break this for sweet indulgences like Presidents Choice The Decadent Chocolate Chip Cookies - seriously these are to die for.  Anyhow - cooking clean dinners sounded easy and not to out of my skill set.

As I mentioned we only got to three of the five meals - two nights we got home to late from work & the gym that we both weren't up for cooking and whipped up something quick.  

Here is what we cooked:


Spicy Tuna Melts
OMG delicious! and so super easy to make.  We will definitely be making these again.  Also these are probably considered lunch food - but they are perfect to make after a long day at work.  I think in total they took 20 minutes from start to finish.  However I do have a few adjustments - next time I will sub the cumin for Jalapeno Peppers.  I think the flavour/spice will be less powerful.  Other than that - perfect easy recipe.


Grilled Chicken with Broccoli Florets
Another winner, winner chicken dinner.  Seriously if eating healthy is this delicious sign me up!  First of all this recipe is intended to serve four so I halved all the ingredients.  Thankfully Siri, my trusty iPhone assistant, is so helpful in the kitchen - she's been spitting measurement conversions at me all week.  I omitted the sauce - because the spice on the chicken sounded like it would be enough.  I was right.  Steve however reached for some BBQ sauce - what can I say he's a sauce man.


Country-Fried Steak with Mushroom Gravy
 Again - another success. And I also made a few adjustments to this recipe.  I'll be honest I have a hard time following a recipe to a T.  This is why I am not so successful at baking.  This recipe calls for you to make your own mushroom sauce.   I ended up using a package mushroom sauce from Simply Organic - I could read all the so I assumed it was 'healthy' and seriously a heck of a lot easier.  It worked.  Also - I didn't use beef I subbed it with pork.  Since I spontaneously bought a beef roast for Sunday night {it was a good price} I decided that was too much red meat for one week.  Oh and instead of making my own crust - I used panko.  Cheating?  Whatever - it was delicious nonetheless.


Slow Cooked Beef Roast with Corn & Beans
This one wasn't on the menu - but nothing is better than a slow cooked meal on a Sunday evening. This recipe is pretty generic for a beef roast and I only omitted the onion soup mix and subbed the carrots for celery because I didn't have any.  The corn and beans are from a can.  Lazy?! 


What we missed: Smothered Cheeseburgers Zucchini, Tomato, Fresh Herb Fettuccine {both of which I definitely want to try}

And here is what's on the menu for this week:


And in case you can't read my neglected black board writing abilities;
  • Leftovers from Sunday {Beef Wraps} 
  • Chili-Lime Kabobs
  • Tex Mex Vegetarian Sheppard's Pie
  • Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
  • Bo Luc Lac (Vietnamese Shaking Beef) {an attempt at Vietnamese cuisine}
What's on your menu? Looking for ideas?  Go visit my friend Randalin for some more really delicious reviews.  And then check head over to orgjunkie for some more and helpful meal planning tips - but don't blame me if you get hungry.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm impressed. Your meals look great (and healthy too!) No more weekend pizza? Ah you have some self-discipline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all look sooooo good!!
    Is the buffalo chicken grilled cheese from Closet Cooking? Because if so - WOAH. SO GOOD. But I mean, honestly, how can you go wrong with "buffalo chicken" and "grilled cheese?"

    And now I'm officially starving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! This all looks delicious... is it dinner time yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job guys! It's kind of fun, no? And lately we've made some stuff that was way better than anything we've even at a restaurant lately :) As for those ?? on the weekend...dinner and a beer or two? Let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thanks for sharing! All the food looks delish.

    My hubby and I struggle with the same thing. We don't plan ahead...so then it always seems like we have "nothing" to eat. We are slowly getting better and attempting to meal plan a bit.

    Hoping to get to the point you're at where it's a week at a time...even if you don't perfectly execute.

    Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These all look and sound so good! I'm really impressed with your menu planning. I'm feeling inspired (and hungry) to make more of an effort. I need to look into this clean eating, I've been saying yes to McDonald's WAY too often and kinda feel yucky for it.

    P.s. PC decadent chocolate chip cookies are awesome! I buy the bags of their chocolate chips for my homemade cookies and banana bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks amazing. Btw, your comment on my blog really made me laugh. Thanks for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey you...I nominated you for an award :) Check it out here...
    http://lemontreesandbumblebees.blogspot.com/2012/01/blog-award-for-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I NEED to do this! Ahh, you're so inspiring...if only I wasn't so lazy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.