2.07.2012

Get Your Barf Bucket and Then Read a Love Story

Have you got your barf buckets ready because what I am about to write about might induce some serious vomiting.  I am going to talk about love.  Just so you know I am not a lovey dovey type of girl.  Emotional - true fact.  But today  is a full moon.  A full moon means a cranky emotional Emily.  An Emily that just wants to go home and listen to this song on repeat very loudly.  But instead I drown my emotions in a french toast and lunchtime retail therapy. Absolutely healthy right?!


Until I saw the 'What's your love story' linkup popping up on my reader hosted by From Mrs. To Mama - thanks Mrs.Mama.  Surely some talk about love should swing those emotions back to a balanced level.    It's worth a shot.  I quite possibly could start tearing up through this - thankfully this isn't being recorded.

1. How long have you and your significant other been together?
Steve and I have spent 9 years and approximately 2 months of blissful togetherness. 11 months of that time has been spent as newlyweds. We married on March 3, 2011 and started dating sometime in December 2002 - however we have an official unofficial dating anniversary set - December 12, 2002.  We chose this date because 12 is the number that falls between our favourite numbers.  Clearly we were meant to marry with that kind of compromise happening.   


2. How did you meet? {What's your "love" story?}
In short - Steve and I ran in the same circle of friends.  However I didn't notice him until I started college and was determined to become a nurse {that never worked out}.  I used to study in the college library - so did Steve.  I would always find a table near him with a good view. He was dreamy.  He still is - but there is something to be said for how exciting a new crush is.  It's that whole does he like me? did he just look at me?  did he just flirt with me? feelings.  We'd chat briefly sometimes - but I was always to shy. Eventually our circle of friends collided and we started to hang out more.  You can read more about that here.

3. If married, how long have you been married?
 Oh - I guess I answered this already in question one.  I am so on the ball.  But in case you've forgotten already - we've been married for 341 days {11 months and 4 days}.  We are getting ready to celebrate our first marriage anniversary in only 25 days.  Yikes - I had better get something to wear.  

4. If you are married, where did you get married at? Big or small wedding? 
We married on a beautiful beach in Varadero Cuba with 20+ of our nearest and dearest friends and family.  You can click my 'wedding' tab in my link bar if you want to read more about it as I am currently in the process of recapping the day.  

5. Do you have any nick-names that you call one another? 
I'll only share the polite ones.  To be quite honest I have the same nicknames for Steve as I do for the cat.  Steve hates this - but it's just easier this way.  For example I sometimes call Basil {he's the cat} Monk! {short for monkey}.  So how this works is that Basil is Monk and Steve is Papa Monk.  I just called Steve to ask him if he had any for me and said "none that I can repeat".  That's love.  
 
6. Name 3 things you love most about your honey.
Only three things?!  OK if you lucky enough to know Steve you know that there is a lot to love.  Seriously ladies this is a great man.  Like possibly the best husband out there.  Remember in YM magazine when you could enter your boyfriend into the 'Best Boyfriend Contest'  well I feel like this about Steve.  Not because he is ultra romantic, because he is not.  Not because he buys me lots of stuff, he doesn't.  But because he makes life awesome.  He makes me feel like I am hilarious, when really I am not.  He makes me feel pretty, when I feel like I look like garbage.  He's kind.  He's generous.  He's understanding.  He's logical.  He's got a nice butt. And killer blue eyes.  Once a lady at a wedding called him Mr. Bedroom-eyes. OK that's more than three. {are you barfing yet?}
 
7. Tell us how he proposed?
As I mentioned Steve isn't romantic and the fact that he even proposed was a shock to me.  I was completely content living common-law.  However I was ecstatic when we did decide he wanted to get married. Steve proposed on March 18, 2010.  He claims he bought the ring the day before his 30th birthday.  We were getting ready to go on a three week vacay to Vietnam.  Usually right before a trip I go in full panic mode and have to ensure that the house it clean.  This time was no different.  I was in my PJ's.  I looked terrible.  He came home.  And handed me a plant.  I first gave him a hard time about buying me a plant since it was clearly going to die while we were away - and then he handed me the ring.  I asked what it was for.  And he said that we were both 30 and it was time to get engaged. Easy peasy.  Then we hung out for three weeks and travelled an awesome country.  A mother effin' engagement trip.  See - Steve is awesome.

8. Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day, or strawberries, champagne, and rose petals?
He is more of a beer and chicken wings kind of guy and lucky for him - I am into it.  

9. Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch?
 How about this - can I download a movie on my iPod and watch it on the beach?  I am that type of girl.  
 
10. Tell us one thing you'd like to do with your significant one day. If you could do anything? Go anywhere?
I want to have human babies.  Steve will be the best dad.  Our future babies are very lucky.  And so am I.  Oh and i would also like to go on more vacations and do lots of this.  


11. Tell us what you plan on doing on this Valentine's Day. 
To be honest we aren't really a valentine's couple.  Seriously every mans dream girl right here.  We will most likely do as we do.  Steve will probably buy me some flowers {he usually picks out the nicest ones} and then we'll decide to have dinner somewhere {probably chicken wings} and then we will decide if we're up to a movie {probably watch something on netflix}.  
12. Are you asking for anything this Valentine's day?
Nothing.  If I get flowers I wont complain.  But we have never, not once, bought each other something for valentines day.  

13. Give us one piece of advice of keeping a relationship strong and full of love.
 Keep it real.  Learn to compromise.  Be reasonable.  Be independent.  Learn to roll with the punches.  And work hard at  your relationship everyday.  I saw this piece of advice pop up on pinterest. This is exactly how a marriage or a strong relationship should be handled.  



14.  Show us a picture of what love means to you.


If you're not completely grossed out - go read some other love stories over at From Mrs. To Mama's 

14 comments:

  1. I'm super happy I was there for the Bedroom Eyes comment. One of the best wedding moments ever. AND I am also excited for your human babies!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this...I didn't barf only smiled really big while reading. :) You are a lucky gal to be so in love and he is definitely a lucky guy! Speaking of love...your Valentine is going in the mail tomorrow. I have no idea how long mail takes to get to Canada so better safe than sorry. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. Em. Gee. You are freaking hilarious. I just found your blog and I'm your newest follower. And will likely go back and blog stalk you and laugh a whole bunch.

    I can't believe you got married in Cuba. I'm super jealous. It's totally on my "Places to Go Before I Die List."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um. That song kinda scared me, Emily.

    Your love story is so cool. Why don't we live closer. I know our men would love each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *gag*
    *barf*

    I think you found a pretty sweet catch in my lil' bro.

    And he is lucky to have you....

    *gag*
    *barf*

    You need to forward me these awesome blog memes youre finding so I can join in......

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is so cute! You might hate being sappy, but I eat this stuff up! This was so much fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "he's more of a beer and chicken wings kind of guy"

    BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually call my dog Monk too! Short for Monkey or Monkey Dog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a cute story! I didn't barf I thought this was so cute and fun! ya'll make a cute couple! congrats on coming up on your 1 year anni! What a great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a cute story! I didn't barf I thought this was so cute and fun! ya'll make a cute couple! congrats on coming up on your 1 year anni! What a great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. not barfing at all!!! i find myself pretty cynical these days but this was nice. kinda gives me hope that there are good ones {not just crazy ones} out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.