2.13.2012

Music Monday: Love Songs

Today I have a serious case of the Monday's.  But there is nothing like some cheesy love songs that can make that better.  Kristen from Confessions of a Graphic Design Student's Music Monday challenge was to list our top 5 Love Songs.  Since this was an impossible task to simply pinpoint it to only 5 I cheated along with her and came up a list of 14 songs.


While searching for these songs I noticed that I have a tendency to like songs about tragedy, yearning or break-up.  I am not sure what that means - but I've come to the conclusion that most love songs are written about this. I mean who is really writing songs about being happy and in love?  People are listening to love songs as part of their pity party mixes.



Top Love Songs by Emily Hope on Grooveshark



Now let me explain why I selected these songs

1. Total Eclipse of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler
Not only is this song fantastic - it is also our first dance song.  I had it playing last night while Steve was napping on the couch.  As soon as he heard it come on he woke up and smiled at me.  Seriously people - that's love.

2. Don't Stop Believing - Journey
I should probably tell you that I LOVE journey.  It was a tough choice.  I am sad that Glee ruined this song for me forever - but it's such a classic.   When we were wedding planning and before we made the decision for a destination wedding - we were going to have our bridal party sing this for us as our first dance.  OK that was my idea and probably never would have happened  - but a girl can dream right? 

3. To Be With You - Mr. Big
I always like this song - but when I met Steve I started to like it more.  In about 2005 when we were living in Vietnam - Steve and I and a few friends drove {on scooter} to a nearby ocean town.  On the way home it was raining like crazy.   Like torrential downpours.  Did I mention we were on a scooter? I was honestly fearful that we weren't going to make it home.  I think Steve was scared too.  To make things easier  - we started singing this song.  Cheese city right?

4. November Rain - Guns N' Roses
Do I even need to explain to you why I selected this song?  It's amazing.  And I makes me want to ask the cute boy I've been crushing to dance. 

5.  Inside Your Heaven - Carrie Underwood
 Let's just set the record straight - Carrie Underwood is my girlfriend.  I mean we share the same birthday - it's fate right?  There is just something about this song that make me tear up when I hear it.

6. True Blue - Madonna
I was first introduced to this song via the Mini Pops.  I then stole my moms vinyl and memorized the lyrics.  I think there is even a tape lingering around from Canada's Wonderland of me and a friend singing this.  It's embarrassing. 

7. It Must Have Been Love - Roxette
How can you not listen to this song and think of Pretty Woman.  Seriously - a modern day fairytale.  Rich man saves prostitute - every little girls dream right?

8. I Think We're Alone Now - Tiffany 
I have a dance choreographed to this song.  If you get me drunk enough - I might show it to you.

9. Fade Into You - Mazzy Star
When I hear this song it brings me back to ninth grade - when probably means I was sulking over some tragic relationship.  #14yearoldproblems

10. First Day of My Life - Bright Eyes
I dare you to find a cuter song than this.   I'll give you $20.

11. Street Car - Hayden
Well I had to give props to some great Canadian artists.  We Canadians are hopeless romantics.  It's probably all induced from the amount of beer we consume.  I love Hayden and there are so many good songs - but this one always sticks out for me. 

12. Deeper Than Beauty - Sloan 
Another amazing Canadian band.  This song might double as the second cutest song in the universe.  Cool guy loves geeky girl - sigh!

13. Red - Treble Charger
What up Canada!?  Great music right?  I want to slow dance whenever I hear this. 

14. I wanna Dance With Somebody - Whitney Houston
And because we lost the great Whitney Houston last Saturday - this song is dedicated to her.  And seriously - we all just wanna dance with somebody.

Now head over here to get your fill of some more love songs or to put in your mix tape for your special valentine






p.s.  This is my 100th post.  So this playlist is dedicated to me.  I'm going to slow dance the night away.

5 comments:

  1. I love that Total Eclipse of the Heart was your first dance. So awesome!!! I loved listening to these songs as I browsed around blog land...thanks DJ Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Mazzy Star, that song makes me so relaxed! Great songs girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously- LOVED your playlist! I can't even single out some of my favorites because I loved ALL of them! Amazing selection- you got some good taste g-friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fade Into You....

    YES!

    Did I mention our dog is named Mazzy :)

    Love, love, love that shizz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you like Train? Because Train's "Marry Me" is a super cute song, at least in my opinion. Of course, my taste in music and movies always seems to differ from most people, so keep that in mind :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.