3.25.2012

I am not a photographer


Today I discovered that I don't know how to use our DSLR!  I thought all that practice on the cat and objects around the house helped.  It did a bit - but actually I have no idea how to use it outside.  I don't know how to quickly capture a shot.  Or How to know what setting to use for what light.  Sometimes I don't even know how to change the settings or sometimes I change the setting without even realizing it.  I am a total rookie.  When out in public -  I am so intimidated to whip out my camera and snap a shot (this is one reason why the iPhone is so amazing).  I immediately feel sad when I realize the moment wasn't just captured right. When the picture doesn't evoke any kind of feeling.  So I am asking you to  please send me all your photography resources.  This lady needs to gain some more confidence!  Help me learn. 

However at least I don't lack bravery - here is my favourite shot from today. Steve and I wandered around the Bangkok weekend market, Chatuchak, this afternoon in the hot Thai sun.  I was able to capture a much better version of 'Street Meat'.  I can nearly smell the deliciousness looking at this photo.  Please let me enjoy my small (and rare) successes.

Street Meat in Bangkok, Thailand


11 comments:

  1. I am looking for all the help I can get to with my DSLR. I am so new to it and mama needs some guidance :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I am so with you! We got our dslr a few months ago and I'm still at a complete and total loss! It's auto mode for me until I learn more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl. I know NOTHING and DSLR's. However, Tammy just had someone guest post on her blog with a few tips. Maybe these will help?

    http://bayparkdream.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/want-to-get-better.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay you are there! Enjoy every second! My photography advice is just to click away and learn from your mistakes. Wish I could give you more tips, but I'm a rookie as well! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've found a lot of great tips on: www.clickitupanotch.com and here: http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/photography-tutorial-a-quick-guide-to-understanding-your-digital-slr-camera.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily, that is a GREAT shot! My favorite mode is aperture priority (it shows as AV on Canon). You get to set the aperture (which determines the depth of field, so one thing can be in focus and the rest blurred) and then the camera determines the correct shutter speed. This has been so much easier for me to learn, than trying to set the aperture and the shutter speed when you're out and about and don't have time to mess with all the settings. This way you only have to change one setting by turning the little dial until the aperture is where you want it. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did an online course through ashleyannphotography.com she made everything make sense! It gets much less intimidating.
    Hope you're having a wonderful trip so far!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm looks yummy! Good shot lady! Hope you guys are having an amazing time! We missed you this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are some great online courses, but if you're like me and totally lack motivation and find yourself skipping stuff because you think you already know it (but totally don't) - then you should do an in-person intro class. I learned sooooo much in the class I took and it was great because there was all this peer-pressure and responsibility and accountability! It was exactly what I needed to get my butt in gear and learn how to use my camera!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! You should do a follow up post with the resources you've found. I'm going to do some digging this week to help myself get better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.