3.08.2012

Journey Forward: Goal Updates

At the beginning of twenty dozen I set 12 goals for myself.  Usually at the time of making new year resolutions I would vow to work hard at one thing all year.  If you've been reading this blog for awhile you'll know that I have a hard time staying committed to just one activity.  I like variety - thus the reason behind setting so many goals for myself.

When I heard about the Journey Forward link up - I took a look at my goals and found a common theme and came up with the word create.  Instead of recreating new goals - I thought I would give an update on how I am doing with the 12 goals I set out at the start of January.

1. Complete my 365 + 1 Project
This is no longer being updated on a separate blog - this is now taking place in form of Instagram.  It's so much easier to capture a photo a day with my phone.  Plus the #photoaday challenges are really excellent for inspiration.  So I haven't technically failed - I have just changed my focus.  And I am OK with this - part of creating myself is about being comfortable with change.

{I failed to complete this is January}


2. Figure out how a DSLR camera works.
I am getting better at this.  Every week I try to participate in a photography challenge and force myself to use our DSLR.  I am starting to feel more comfortable with it - but still have now idea about lighting, apertures, and things like that.  I am trying to create memories more than learn how to be a photographer. 

{any excuse to share a pic of Basil - I am going to take it}
3. Learn how to better use Photoshop
I am working hard at this one everyday - however I have taken a better liking to Adobe Illustrator.  I am more interested in creating designs than I am in editing pictures.  I am going to try to take a class in the summer to learn this program properly. 

4. Set up a blog in Wordpress
I am conflicted about this.  I am getting better at how to navigate and tweak the HTML/CSS coding for blogger - I am not sure I am ready to take on the world of Wordpress.  But it's still something I might tackle. 

5. Sew More!
I am so sad to report that I have not done any. zero. zip. Nada. sewing in 2012.  This has to change.  I might spend my birthday with my sewing machine.  This would make me happy.  I love sewing - I love creating things.  I need to work on fitting in the time for this  - at least once a week. 


6. Learn to Quilt!
Again - this requires sewing.  I will have created one by the end of the year.  Even if it's teeny tiny. 

7. Set up a Home Office/Craft Room
I am sure that if I completed this - my sewing and craftiness would increase.  We have bought the desk - and now just need to organize the space.  But tell me - where do you find extra time?

8. Cook More - Eat Out Less!
I don't know what happened in February but we totally failed at creating weekly meal plans.  I am going to try to start that up again because it made life so much easier - however I am going to reduce it from five meals to three as this is a lot more realistic for our schedules.  Speaking of food - have you tried the Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese from Closet Cooking?  If not - do it.  It's amazing.


9.  Stop Eating Lunch at My Desk!
I am getting better at this.  I try to get away from my desk for at least an hour each day.  This definitely creates less stress and improves productivity. 

10.  Take More Me Time
I am trying to do this - but I find I just spend my time watching TV or on the computer.  I am want to focus more of my time on being creative.  Even though I have started to blog more - which has been an excellent creative outlet for me - but I need to be away from the computer more than I am on it.  It's seriously a problem.  I am a slave to technology - it's kind of gross.  Hey Emily - get off the computer and get sewing!

11. Sleep More
To be honest - this whole blogging thing is making it difficult to get to bed at a decent time.  I am often up late getting my post ready for the next day .  I need to create some sort of schedule for this.  But I am that serious about blogging to consider this?  I am not sure.  However - the black circles under my eyes indicate that this is a problem.  This lady is tired. 

12. Go On More Dates With Steve
We are bad at this.  Dates to us mean getting on a plane and jetsetting to another country.  Good thing we have a 16 day date planned very soon.  Thailand what?  We will definitely be creating some amazing memories there.  And making babies too?  Sorry TMI!

Even though the above sounds very ambitious - I think all these goals will help me work towards my word - Create.  How are you doing with your goals for twenty dozen?


Get caught up on my Journey Forward Challenge HERE!!!

8 comments:

  1. I have been struggling with the "eat at home more" goal too. It always seems easier to just go out, even though rationally I know it takes more time, and is expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these. :) And that picture of your kitty is amazing! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eating at home more is encapsulated in one of my goals as well. After leaving the eye doctor today, I was sooooooo tempted to swing in to the Subway next door. But I didn't! I came home and ate leftovers (that I cooked myself last night!) instead. We can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are all really awesome goals! I too would like to switch the wordpress one day, but it probably won't be any time too soon haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your goals! I am miserable about completing photo a day challenges - still haven't gotten one done.

    Also, which wordpress are you thinking of setting up a blog in? I use wordpress.org if you are going the self-hosted route and have questions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have alot of the same goals, especially with wanting to learn more about my camera. I just got it for Christmas and I really want to practice and make sure I get some pretty pictures.

    What kind of camera do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  7. eating at home is crazy hard to do. I fail at this one too :(

    I think your sewing goal is one I need to take too! I haven't used my sewing machine since I moved into my condo and I have a huge bag of vintage fabric that has been in the trunk of my car for months, it's very sad!

    Happy Birthday tomorrow!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.