5.24.2012

Ball's Falls

One more reason why Canada is awesome {because you always need more reasons} - we kick off our first summer long weekend one week before the US.  Maybe this is the only time we are ahead of you all?  Oh wait we also celebrate T-giving in October.  We're rule breakers. The May 2-4 long weekend is usually full of summer cookouts.  Beer guzzling.  And the very brave will kick off the camping season. It usually rains. And is cold.  And dreary.  And depressing because we are all thinking that we are going to be blessed with a rainy summer.  However this year was as odd as our four snow falls winter.  It was hot.  It was basically amazing.

We had originally planned on camping - but our plans fell through.  The thought of not getting out of the city and getting a brush of nature wasn't sitting well with me.  I then consulted Google - because Siri isn't really that helpful.  Did you know that she can't access maps in Canada?  What up with that?  Balls. 

Speaking of Balls - Google informed me that there is a place nearby Toronto called Ball's Falls.  So I called Steve.  "Steve - Do you want to go to Balls Falls?" to which he replied "The answer is yes!"  All sorted.  We got up late on Sunday and headed out for an hour and half journey from Toronto to Lincoln, Ontario - home of Ball's Falls. I read there was a small hiking trail and some nice scenery.  Perfect - because that's all we were looking for.   And we weren't disappointed.


I wish we had prepared better because there was an awesome picnic area that we could have utilized.  I was getting hungry and was about to go yogi bear on some nearby picnickers so I quickly convinced Steve to make the 30 minute trek into Niagara Falls.  And it's official - each time I visit Niagara Falls I claim it will be my last.  It's not that I don't like it - it's just a zoo.  There are people EVERYWHERE.  The traffic is insane.  But we made the best of our short visit.  And seriously - Niagara Falls has got balls. 


I hope you fellow Canadian enjoyed the inaugural summer long weekend - and I hope my American pals enjoy theirs this weekend.  Add photos to instagram so I can be envious. 

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! I've been wanting to do something like this for so long!
    How far is it from TO?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does that also mean you can wear white one week earlier?? Haha, it's the important things here!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got to get out into nature even if it wasn't for camping. And balls falls? Haha that cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, balls falls.
    and now that I'm done being more immature than a pre-pubescent 7th grader, I'm going to tell you how GORGEOUS these photos (and you) are!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Balls Falls. Haha. Not bad.
    Your pictures are so great and I can't wait to see Niagara Falls someday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you guys had a great weekend. Nice to know that place is so close! It looks gorgeous :) And I haven't been to Niagara Falls since I was probably 7. I'd love to go again but maybe without all the traffic and people :S

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything about this post. We attempted the May Long camping... and yup, it was cold. BUT we decided to also take a girls vacay down to Seattle for the US long weekend... pretty excited!

    On another note.... I also hate how Siri can't give me directions in Canada. Agreed, balls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a beautiful weekend...all the pictures are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha ha I've never been to Balls Falls but kinda giggle every time I hear the name. immature? probably lol
    I've only driven through niagara falls lately on the way to TARGET! :) it's definitely a zoo and super touristy. I am however planning a trip to niagara on the lake and a wine tour this summer, wanna come? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These pictures are gorgeous! I can't get over those blue flowers. So pretty! I've never been to Niagara, but I feel like one of these days I should make it up there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The wildflowers picture is simply perfection. Glad it was a great long weekend for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous pictures!!
    I love getting out into the outdoors and soaking up all the prettiness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. some girl on Twitter told me to look you up... apparently you're funny and she was RIGHT! ;) My family lives in Niagra on the Lake... it's really beautiful out there. For the record the weather was crappy in BC. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.