5.15.2012

Chiang Rai, Thailand

On the morning we left Chiang Rai - Steve woke up at the crack of dawn to go give alms to the monks.  {I am trying to convince him to write about his experience}  But I decided to take advantage of a quick sleep in since at this point my jet lag was catching up to me.  After Steve returned to the hotel we ate a quick breakfast and said goodbye to Chiang Mai.  I was sad to leave - but excited to see what Chiang Rai was all about. We decided to drive to take in the scenery and to make some stops along the way.


Along the way we stopped at a hot spring about an hour North-East of Chiang Mai.  I don't know what I was expecting but basically this place was a well-esque hole in the ground with a natural hot spring.  The place smells of strong sulfur and the locals are eager to sell you a basket of quail eggs to cook in the spring.  Steve and I both opted to pass on this.

We also stopped a temple that looks like no other temple in Thailand.  Which I believe is called the 'Wat Rong Khun'.  Basically this temple began being constructed in 1997 by a Thai Artist. I am indifferent about it.  For me I am more interested in the historical temples - but it does look pretty spectacular in the sunlight.


 While in Chiang Rai we stayed at the Legend Chiang Rai - if you're ever planning a trip to Chiang Rai stay here.  The dinner buffet is outstanding.  And the grounds are nicely manicured and the rooms - well perfect for the atmosphere.  We had a room facing the river - and I was wishing we could have booked a few more nights there. I was happy that we had the first afternoon free to soak up the awesomeness of this hotel. 


The following day we took a drive to the most northern point of Thailand - the Golden Triangle where Thailand, Laos and Burma all meet and stopped at a few local hill tribe villages along the way. Here are some snippets from our day.


And of course I found a temple cat to photograph.


Check out my other Thailand posts here:

11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that temple is beautiful! I love it!

    I don't think I can build up enough vacation days fast enough. I want to go so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip looks so great! Thank you for sharing the pictures!
    I love the temple cat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos Em! Of course I love the temple cat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got some amazing pictures of the locals. I love that looooong pipe. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictures are amazing, I love the ones of the locals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you actually go on a honeymooniversary or was it a photography field school? Because - WOAH! Your photos are ah-mah-zing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That temple looks like a winter wonderland ! How gorgeous ! Okay, I can't stop staring at those little girls ears... I hope she wasn't forced to do that.. Ouchies ! Love the village pic, that's so neat! You were so immersed, love this post !

    ReplyDelete
  8. These pictures are amazing!! I loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, what a fantastic vacation! So jealous of your time there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful pictures! I love them all!

    New follower from the blissful and domestic blog hop! Would love a follow back if you like my site too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow your pictures of the locals are so beautiful. You captured them so well! And I saw you were reading Bossypants...that's next on my list! Do you like it???

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.