5.08.2012

The Flight Of The Gibbon: Chiang Mai, Thailand

For a girl who isn't adventurous I managed to get involved in a few activities that I wouldn't even think of doing.  For example - The Flight of The Gibbon which is roughly 5 kilometers of zip lines atop the rainforest canopy.  Sounds like a blast right?  When Steve initially brought up the idea of going zip lining in the rainforest he actually had a backup plan ready because he knew my answer would be no.  He propositioned me with a spa day at the hotel - while he would set off and fly through the trees like a gibbon.  So why didn't I accept this?  Well because I am stubborn and I wanted to prove to Steve that I wasn't afraid of flying around the rainforest too {even though I was terrified}. So I did it - and I survived.  Steve bought the t-shirt. 

I mentioned before that our visit it to the Chiang Dao Elephant Training Centre was one of my favourite parts of the trip - well surprisingly The Flight of The Gibbon was my absolute favourite.  Perhaps it was the adrenaline {definitely not all the ant bites}. But the views were spectacular.  And the entire operation was completely professional.  My only fear - was of the height.  There were sweaty palms and shaky knees. 

We started the day with breakfast outside and I contemplated bailing on the day - but I am so glad I toughed it out. 

Steve is really excited about the tour
When you arrive there are a bunch of standard waivers to sign and then you need to get suited up.  With your safety harness and helmet.  We decided to leave the DSLR back at the hotel - since we were fearful of breaking it even further.  But I am super impressed with the photos our point and shot can capture.  Here is a glimpse of our day.

I wasn't sure I was going to make it through the course after this bridge.  I have no idea how high it is - but it's pretty high.  Each step you take makes the bridge sway.  The gaps in the planks are ridiculous.  I held onto Steve the entire time.  I didn't want to stop for a picture.  Your wishes mean nothing in the rainforest. 
This is the point that I realized the end was approaching.  And the only way down was to belay down 45 meters. 
Feeling pretty impressed with myself.  And it's official - I am still afraid of heights
And for your viewing pleasure - a 19 second clip.



Check out my other Thailand posts here:

18 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you conquered your fear and did it! My dad was kind of the same in Costa Rica and he ended up really enjoying it. The views and the experience of being inside the rainforest is like no other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! Thailand + Zip Lining = AMAZING!!!! So jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like so much fun! We're going to have to find something adventurous in England that you can do to conquer another fear ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I would have been terrified too! But it looks like so much fun! You are really brave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots! I've zip lined (when I was a teenager) and want to do it again- but each and every time I'm on the platform I get SO nervous! I just make myself go, though, and it's always great- but then I'm just as nervous for the next time! You *should* be impressed with yourself- I'm impressed by you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait, hang ON! I just read Lauren's post- when are you coming to England, and which part?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are honestly my hero. I know this is supposed to be so exhilarating but I really don't think I could do it :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg I have always wanted to do that. There was a South Park episode on recently about ziplining (dont judge) and now I wanna do it sooo bad haah

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband and I went zip lining on our honeymoon. It was a little nerve-wracking at the beginning, even though I kept telling myself "there's nothing to be afraid of, I'm safely clipped onto this thing!" But it's still a tad scary, but SO MUCH FUN!
    Glad you attempted to conquer your fear, looks like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving all of your travel babbles! This post totally reminded me of a recent South Park episode where they go ziplining... LMAO you must watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONyjjHN1SPA&feature=related

    (bad quality, but still hilarious)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG you're so brave!!! I would have been crapping my pants :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to show fear who's boss! If we had the ability to create a discretionary fund, it would be a Thailand fund. Your pictures are so awe inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet that was the experience of a lifetime! Good for you for conquering your fears and taking the plunge! Or zip line, or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look at you, you little adventerous thing you! Definitely something I have always wanted to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a braver woman than I...though it looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are one tough cookie. Good job "overcoming" your fears to prove Steve wrong. This looks amazing!!! I remember watching the clip way back when you were thinking about doing this. I'm so glad you did!!!! And thanks for your comment checking up on me. I'm back! Mostly because of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My knees get wobbly just looking over the edge of a second-story rail, but I love rollercoasters. I really want to zip line!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is unreal! How cool, I want to do that someday. I love that it's called "The Flight of the Gibbon," amazing title!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.