6.25.2012

A Moose Hunt

I am just going to come out and say it...whatever you did this weekend it doesn't matter because my weekend was cooler than yours!  That's a fact.  Unless you saw a moose - then our weekends were probably comparable.  Actually I saw 8 moose in total - but who is counting?  If you remember I declared that this year we would go on a moose hunt.  And that's what we did.  And succeeded. One more thing to cross off my life bucket list.

On Thursday evening Steve and I headed three hours north to Algonquin Provincial Park.  Once you hit the stretch of road along highway 60 there are large warning signs informing you to watch out for moose crossing for the next 60 KM's.  This was our third trip to Algonquin and the two times before we didn't see a single moose - so we were skeptical.  That was until Steve said "OMG...I just saw a moose".  I missed it.  I was bummed out.  And just as I was declaring my jealousy to my husband - I saw one.  I yelled.  "Moose.!! I just saw a moose!!"  It was dark.  And we reduced our speed considerably.  I wouldn't want to hit a moose.  For obvious reasons. 

This quick encounter fueled a weekend long moose hunt.  Friday we ventured out on a few hikes that we assumed would promise a potential moose sighting and saw nothing.  We decided it would be wise to consult with the park staff - who informed us that moose are more commonly spotted as soon as the sun starts to go down. Right outside our campground.  In the grassy areas alongside the road. An odd location but did you know that they like the side of the road because of the salt run off?  Moose like salt!  Next time - I am packing a salt lick and calling it a day.  With this new information we decided that dinner could wait - because we were going on a moose hunt. 

And I am glad we did because that evening we saw a total of four moose.  I was little girl giddy.  And a little intimidated.  Moose are large.


After we retired our evening hint - we were excited.  But not yet satisfied.  On Sunday morning I woke up early eager to head out on our third moose hunt of the weekend.  Steve however decided to sleep.  Until it started to rain.  So we packed up our site and decided to test out luck and see if moose enjoy the rain.  Turns out they do.  Because we saw the most spectacular moose sighting of all time!  A mom moose (a cow) and a baby moose (a calf) on the side of the road.  We were so incredibly close.  It was amazing.  AMAZING! 


Have you ever seen a moose in the wild? 

32 comments:

  1. I am so jealous!! I've not seen a moose (in the wild) and I'd love to get the chance! Great shots, too, by the way! Canada's high on our "North America Travel" list, so after we move back we'll have to hit you and Steve up for a guided moose hunt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Moose are my favorite animal. I saw one in the wild in Finland once!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool! I'm from Newfoundland, so we saw moose all the time in our backyard even, but I haven't seen one yet in Ontario. We plan to head to Algonquin this summer, since its so close, so maybe we will see one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, you were right - your weekend was more awesome than mine. I wanna go on a moose hunt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moose are funny looking but I love them! They are so awkward but so powerful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Em these photos are amazing!! D will be so jealous. Stupid high vet bills :S

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow those photos are incredible! I once saw a moose in the wild... if you consider the wild the side of an overpass on a busy road in a major city. One of the oddest things I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is SO cool! I'd never think to want to see a moose...but how cool. =) Maybe I'm feeling inspired to add an animal-spotting to my bucket list. Glad y'all had such a fun time moose hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up in rural New Brunswick. We didn't see them as often as we saw deer, but he have a seen a few moose right in out back yard. In fact one time we saw a Mother and baby not far from our house!
    We are sure the wildlife travels through our field all the time, but you have to been looking out the window at the right time.
    My parents saw a bear a few month back, and in the 20+ years since we lived there we have only seen a few bears.
    PS your pictures are AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your weekend was much better than mine! Now that you got so close to moose, you can come a bit closer to Ike and Duke the horses......

    Great pics! DSLR????

    ReplyDelete
  12. we have moose running around the center of Amsterdam all the time. Ok, maybe not. But in my ideal world this would be the case for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I love love love your pictures! And I am so glad that "moose hunt" doesn't mean that you killed them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this looks so amazing Emily. I love the picture of Steve looking out with the Moose in the background. Moose are such funny and interesting looking creatures! I want to see a Moose in the wild!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yup- your weekend was much cooler than mine! Every time I see a moose I think of Brian Regan... "MOOSEN! I saw a flock of MOOSEN... there are many of them, many much moosen, out in the woods, in the wood-es, in the woodsen!!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWzYaZDK6Is

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are beautiful! I did see a moose in the wild when I was little. We went camping in Wyoming and stumbled upon a moose drinking water in a creek. I was amazed at how big they are in real life.

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've told you before that you're my hero, right? We have moose in CO, but they're hard to spot. We see a lot more Elk, Deer, and Bighorn Sheep around here. Would love to see a moose that close up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. First off - possible the best first sentence of any post, ever. Second - If I ever saw I moose I would run screaming in the other direction. Those things are huge. I mean huge, and possibly mean. That being said - thanks for risking your life to take these amazing pictures.
    xx
    justyn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your pictures are awesome, glad to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dude, I'm totally jealous. I've never seen a moose!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Moose!!
    I have a blog giveaway going on at my blog http://sailingwithbarefeet.blogspot.com/2012/06/1st-blog-giveaway.html
    I hope you enter for a chance to win!!!!! Hurry though, it ends tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Holy moly, those are GINORMOUS! That's so cool that you were close enough to take these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I grew up in Maine. Once there was a baby moose hanging out in our front yard all day but my dad made us stay inside because he was afraid the mom would come chasing us if we went near it. In short, no moose fun for us.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow I am soooooooo jealous!! Ever since I saw Northern Exposure as a kid I have always wanted to see a real life moose. It hasn't happened yet (mainly as we don't have them in England) but one day I will get to see those beauties!! I even named my blog after my love of those funny looking fuzzy guys!! Your photos are fab - thanks for sharing and brightening up my lunch break :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. you e-ho. i too love beer and poutine. and yes, i have seen moose in the wild. and yup, they do like the side of the road! i've seen mine all in my homestate of nh. they are incredible creatures and incredibly huge. they rock, right? bet you wanna see another this weekend?

    so happy to find you via liz's summer link up at blue eyed owl.

    here's to moose on the loose!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  26. ps- got you beat on the oldest blogger title i think. unless you have the best face cream in the world and in that case, you really should let the cat out of the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The moose are AWESOME! I remember being a kid and going to this one area and we could see them cross the road from the pond into the woods. Everytime I go home I keep hoping to see another! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Typically, you will be able to spot these moose through locations which they might need to go through. Locations such as that are streams, ponds, swamps, since they need food and water, usually they might cross roads too, on most occassions as you can see them.
    I have compiled a guide on how to improve your ways of hunting and improving your moose hunt on our site.

    Grizzly Bear Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  29. You will find some primary hunting gears that you will have while hunting moose. They add a first-class large game rifle and camouflage gear, a tarp, transport gear, and quality butchering add-ons. Because of their massive size, it's difficult to hold them home then slaughter it. So you've to slaughter them then there these add-ons can be very helpful.

    black bear hunts

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is really interesting moose hunt post, also very useful in moose hunt trip. We are also moose hunting service provider in Alaska. http://www.clearwateralaskaoutfitters.com/alaska-outfitter/moose-hunts

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.