6.09.2012

Toronto Bucket List


You may or may not know that I live in Toronto.  In Ontario.  In Canada. And unfortunately I have not taken advantage of this amazing multicultural and widely diverse city.  I have lived here nearly five years.  And sadly I can't claim to know the city that well.  You might even say I don't know it at all.  Minus all the rude people.  The bad drivers. The smog. and a lakefront that I am fearful to swim in.  I might as well be a visitor in my own City.  I don't know the best coffee shop in town.  I wouldn't be able to recommend a handful of restaurants to someone passing through.  I have no idea where the best shops are.  And I doubt I will ever know those things but....

...I want to change this.  I want to know my city.  And starting now I am going to actually  become a visitor of Toronto.  Of course this idea was inspired by my blogging hero, Allison, who created a Cincinnati Bucket List early this year.  And I have been inspired ever since to create my own.  I did not of course consult Steve on this because I am sure there are a few items that he would ask me to remove. But here is a short list of things I want to do/discover in Toronto.

  1. Go to Centre Island - bike, hike or have a picnic
  2. Go to Canada's Wonderland and ride the Leviathan
  3. Eat at a restaurant during Summerlicious 
  4. Patio hop in the Beaches
  5. Visit the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) and see dinosaur bones 
  6. Have a meal in the Canadian National (CN) Tower at the 360 Restaurant
  7. Ice skate at Nathan Phillips Square
  8. Try to get tickets to a Toronto Maple Leafs Game without breaking the bank
  9. Window shop at Holt Renfrew
  10. Watch a Drive-in movie at Polson Pier 
  11. Tour the Steam Whistle Brewery (we attempted to do this once)
  12. Have brunch in the Distillery District
  13. Catch a comedy show at Yuks Yuks
  14. Go to the Canadian National Exhibition (C.N.E) and eat cotton candy and candy apples and ride the zipper (if they have it)
  15. Visit Historic Fort York
  16. Visit the Ontario Science Centre 
  17. See a show at the Pirincess of Wales Theatre 
  18. Visit the Hockey Hall of Fame to see Lord Stanley's Cup
  19. Visit Ontario Place and see an IMAX movie
  20. Drink a beer on the patio of the Black Bull Tavern
  21. Relive my youth and dance the night away at Dance Cave
  22. Have dinner at Canoe Restaurant and Bar
  23. Drag myself to the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) and find out that I actually like art galleries
  24. Attend a Toronto Blue Jays game and try to avoid getting too drunk to remember i was there
  25. Catch a show during North by Northeast Music & Film Festival
  26. Go to the Santa Claus Parade 
  27. Visit the St. Lawrence Market when it's in full force
  28. Take a walk around Don Valley Brick Works Park
  29. Watch a documentary during the Canadian International Documentary Festival
  30. Go to a Toronto Raptors game and be sad that I missed the Vince Carter days
  31. Relax at the Elmwood Spa
  32. Eat a meal at Wayne Gretzky's {the restuarant}
And I am going to end this list here.  Otherwise I have a feeling it will be impossible to complete.  And I am 32.  So 32 things seem like the right number.  I am sure this list will expand - but I think this is the perfect start.  I am excited to get to know my city a little better. "Hi Toronto! My name is Emily and it's nice to meet you"

19 comments:

  1. I would love to go to Toronto! I went to Canada back in 2007 and fell in love (but it was the other side of the country.) I can't wait to hear about your progress on you list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to Canada but I hope we will go this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! It's funny how you get so un-touristy in your own city, hey? (I do, and though my hometown isn't quite the size of Toronto, there's so much to see and do that I haven't seen or done . . . in the twelve years I've been here! Incredible.)

    I get to go to Toronto every February for work (not for great lengths of time, but just shy of a week) - it would be awesome if you could add to this when you cross something off of your list, so I know what to see and where to eat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaa I love that you clarified that you meant Wayne Gretzsky's restaurant. I mean, it totally could have been his house, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this!! i live in NYC and have for five years and i feel like there are so many things i haven't done and my goal this summer (im a teacher, sooo i kind of have time) is to do them. i think i will steal this idea and do a nyc bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, if I lived in Toronto (or anywhere near it) I would totally do this list with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will happily help you knock any of these off your list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I'm so glad you made your list! It is so fun to cross things off! And thanks for the blog love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea this list! I hope you get to do every bit that's on it. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude! I'll help you knock any of these off the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome list lady! D and I really want to take advantage of the city this summer and maybe some the less expensive options it has. Maybe we can tackle a few of these together. :) We're always at the Distillery District and I'm sure we could twist D's arm to see a Leaf's game. Hope you guys are having a good weekend xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the Dance Cave, fun times were had there back in the day :)
    I too share not taking in the city all that much. I have done a few things on that list but not as many as I probably should have living in the GTA my entire life! The AGO and ROM are so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of having a bucket list for your own city!
    I also like the snazzy banner at the top of your site. Fancy, fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just want you to know that me and my two BFFs in high school used to have this thing. Whenever we were out and about, and encountering boys of any kind (which was almost never) we would tell them that we were from Canada. Why? I couldn't tell you. Probably because we were weird (as if that has changed.) This eventually turned into an even lamer thing where we all established a certain part of Canada we were from and at the time used it as our Myspace titles (yeah, VERY cool.) My friends were Bailey of Quebec and Deirdre of British Colombia. And I was Jen of Toronto.

    So there you have it. Me and you were destined for a bloggy friendship. I pretended I was from your town of dwelling before I ever virtually met you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! I am your newest GFC follower through the Blissful & Domestic party. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this idea! We are a military family, so hubs and I always make a bucket list for whatever part of the country we are living in. I think it is important to experience all a city has to offer. New to your blog and look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a fellow Torontonian, I would say you have to do 1, 3, 7, 14, 17, and 27 before all of the others! Have fun getting through the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Emily I just found your blog and it's so great! I also live in Toronto and am always thinking that I don't take enough advantage of the city. You might have encouraged me to make my own bucket list! So thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is awesome! Tourists always see way more than the people who actually live in the city... I was talking with a Dominican about that the other day. So I love that you made this fun list and are going to see the best of Toronto :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.