8.07.2012

If You Really Knew Me....


I've seen this 'If You Really Knew Me' post idea floating around - and all the posts I have read I have really enjoyed. So I thought I'd give it a go. I mean I hardly write about myself, right? Though I think I do a good job in keeping true to myself through my writing - there are bound to be a few things you don't know about me.  How about 10?

if you really knew me you'd know..

...I grew up in a house with my entire extended family.  Mom. Siblings. Aunts. Uncles. Cousins. And Grandma. It was like a modern day commune.  Except we were all family.  I think growing up in this environment helps explain me a lot.  And explains why I am so different than anyone in my family.  It's like I gained life skills from each of them ...and ran with it.

...I only really feel alive when I am travelling.  I basically work to travel.  As a 32 year old woman I should be planning to buy a house. Or be planning for children.  But usually all I can think about is what country I am going to set foot on next.  This is one of the reasons having a baby terrifies me.  What if being a mom doesn't make me feel as alive as travelling does?  That would just be a huge mess.


...I believe in second chances.  My life turned upside down when I was 19.  But it's only now I realize that I wouldn't have the life I have now - nor the experiences if it didn't happen.  This has helped me see the good in every situation.  I am proof - what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

...I have spent far too many days in my pj's. On the couch. Watching T.V. Feeling sorry for myself.  Ever since I was 16 I get into these weird funks.  And they are miserable.  I feel miserable.  And I probably make the people around me miserable.  I am grateful that I can usually pull myself out of them.  Kristen wrote a great post on this topic just yesterday.


...I suck at relationships.  I swear that I am emotionally damaged.  I should probably see a therapist.  But then again Steve is the most patient and understanding man - and  he tries his hardest to 'get me'.  In the, almost, ten years that we have been together I have learned what partnership is.  Companionship is.  Compromise is .  Independence is. and most importantly what patience is.  Seriously this man has  helped me become more grounded - because ten years prior - lady was crazy.


...I can hold a grudge like it's nobodies business.  It's a quality I dislike the most about myself.  I can usually get over it and be cordial - but I will never forget it.  This probably has something to do with my stubbornness. And the fact that I am an emotional mess.

...I think A LOT.  Like way too much for the average person.  This often leads to insomnia.  Sometimes I get stuck on a thought and I will spend the entire night trying to analyze it.  I wonder how much time I have wasted thinking my life away?  Why can't I be a great thinker like Albert Einstein?  At least I'd be coming up with awesome inventions - or teaching people how the world works. Instead I lay awake - thinking about nonsense.


...I hate how my body has changed in the last ten years - but don't have the will power to improve it. Nor do I let my unhappiness with it consume me. However - I can't even use the excuse that I had kids.  This body is all self inflicted.  It probably has a lot to do with my emotional baggage.  Why can't that baggage ever get lost in transit?  That would be freakin' awesome.  Oh and I blame poutine.  It's just that good.

...I desperately want to find something that I am passionate about.  I have a ton of interests - but none of them make my heart swoon.  I will know it when I find it.  Until then I will continue to keep searching.

...I trust my gut.  It's been extremely helpful these past 32 years.  If it tells me no - I rarely disregard it.  Honestly my gut hasn't been wrong yet.  *knock on wood*

...I am super impressed that I have kept up this blog.  16 months later - Hope Squared is still kicking.  Go Emily!  However I may or may not have considered to stop blogging a few times.  Regardless of when that day comes - I am glad that I will have some memories from our first years of marriage documented somewhere on the interweb.

Have you written one of these posts yet?  Leave your link in the comments so I can get to know you better - that is if you're still kicking it around here.  

Mom2MemphisandRubyMrs. Monologues

34 comments:

  1. Wow ! Yours are great, so real and honest! Here is mine: http://lostseamstress.blogspot.co.nz/2012/08/if-you-really-knew-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily, love this post! And no I didn't know any of this about you! It makes me want to read more and more!!! Travel tip: Holland :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you incorporated your "about me" into a Tuesday10! I love, love, love that you travel... I never go anywhere. :S
    I definitely learned more about you... and I think you totally rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this post and getting to know more about you, especially as a first time visitor to your blog!

    I found you via the GFC Blog Hop and I'm your newest follower :)
    Ashley
    www.welovedhere.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily - unfortunately I know those days spent on the couch being miserable. Lately, once I feel it coming on I've been able to head them off by getting out of the house. I also tell Dan when I'm feeling this way so he knows what to expect. Those days stink.
    I also did a "If you really knew me" post - which you can find here:http://nowaknotes.blogspot.com/2012/07/if-you-really-knew-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love honesty!!! :)

    Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. as everyone has said i love how honest you are in your posts! stopping by from the link up! so glad i did because your blog is super cute! cant wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really great Em. Would a trip to Lake Cecebe quench some of your travel needs for a weekend? I think so! ;) Ps. - You could even wear PJs all weekend and no one would care. Kill two birds with one stone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey E-Ho! Found you from Blog Star and I am thrilled I stumbled upon your blog! I can relate to the funk...mine are more frequent than I would like to admit. New follower..can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! We are very similar. I hold grudges too, and for years on end I tell you.
    And that is really cool you grew up with so many people! That's gotta be the coolest thing I've read in these "if you knew me" posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really loving these posts going around- I feel like we just had a heart-to-heart (albeit, one way). I did one a couple of weeks ago http://www.dogsbollocks09.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/joining-party-if-you-really-knew-me.html
    *big hug* for raw emotion on the interwebs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post, Emily! I totally get into funks too. And I definitely think too much and keep myself up at night over it. That's the worst! Thanks for sharing, I feel like I learned a lot of things about you through this post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. I love the comment about finding a passion, I am the exact same way. Have not yet come across that one thing that I LOVE. ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jordan (my husband) accuses me of thinking too much. My brain just won't stop! I feel you on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for linking up at the GFC Blog Hop today! Hope you found some amazing new blogs and even some new friends!!

    Melissa @ The Life of a Not So Ordinary Wife

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! I always dreamed of growing up with a big family, because I never see my extended family ever. Now that I am older I seem to prefer the smaller households. I am an over analyzer too, I think that and holding grudges is hand in hand. If an argument doesn't end well, or I am upset for one reason or another, I will have this horrible hatred for a long time! I

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this! Getting older sucks. Your body just sort of shifts and changes in all the wrong directions.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how I love these spill-your-guts-out types of posts. I feel like we have so much in common... it's a little cray. Especially about your husband trying to "get" you, the depression, second chances, being terrified of babies, holding grudges, thinking too much, body image. Damn, I could have written this post myself. But you did it so much better. Loves ya E-ho :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So happy you linked up! I trust my gut too, and people always are shocked when I am right. Gut trusters are a good judge of character. Thanks so much for linking up!
    Mrs. Monologues

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're lucky I'm typing this on my iPhone otherwise this 20th comment would be longer than your post. Poutine, yes. Funks, yes. Tempted to give up on blogging, yes. Terrified about having children (it was no until I had them)... Honesty is so beautiful. I wish you a lifetime of travels my friend. I so think you could be a travel blogger who gets paid by Travelocity or something. xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved getting to know you a little better! And what is poutine? I feel like I need it in my life. if it's a food. if it's not... I'm done. just ignore what I said.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you did this Emily! I loved your presentation too...great quotes and that picture of you in black is fabulous! And please, please don't get rid of your blog anytime soon or ever. I would miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. As a woman who carries her passport with her at all times (who knows when you'll need to flee the country?! ha.), I totally get the need to travel as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your post.. definitely love how you can be honest with yourself. And I totally understand the thinking throughout the night and losing sleep over nonesense. It drives me nuts sometimes!
    Pop on over if you like. I love following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your post.. definitely love how you can be honest with yourself. And I totally understand the thinking throughout the night and losing sleep over nonesense. It drives me nuts sometimes!
    Pop on over if you like. I love following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your post.. definitely love how you can be honest with yourself. And I totally understand the thinking throughout the night and losing sleep over nonesense. It drives me nuts sometimes!
    Pop on over if you like. I love following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this post. It's so honest and that's awesome.

    I tend to think a lot too, I can't always shut my mind off at night either!

    Found you through the Blog Working link up.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi, stopping by from Blog Star. I love your post - so honest and funny!! FYI, I'm 34 and bought a house when I was 28 because it was what everyone expected me to do. Worst mistake ever! I have hardly travelled since! I'm now selling the house and hopefully getting back to what I love to do - travel. So stick to doing what you want in life!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. A little off topic, but I love your wedding dress! You look beautiful!

    http://www.everydaywaiting.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I read this yesterday, but I just read it again because of our tweet conversation. It's so interesting that you literally grew up and lived with your extended family. I can only imagine!

    Also, if design doesn't make your heart swoon, at least you're damn good at it. Make money, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVVEEE this.
    You're so real...my favorite thing about you & your blog, hands down.

    Ugh, I'm terrible about holding grudges, too.
    I've gotten better, but there is still A LOT of room for improvement. FO SHO.

    Hope you enjoyed your Thursday, girl :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so glad that you shared... and whatever life you have had, I think it has made you an absolutely amazing woman! And I'm pretty sure that when facing the adventure of having a kid, you'll rise to the occasion in grand form. Hope cubed anyone???

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am looking for something I'm passionate for. I'm OK at alot of things but I don't really excel at one.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This was seriously THE most beautiful "if you really knew me" post I have seen. You shared so many personal things without really getting too heavy - it was nice. And I learned that we have a ton of stuff in common! :) Like WHY we are afraid of having children, the lack of that one thing we're passionate about, and lots of baggage that just won't quit.

    Loved this post!

    AND I've been MIA for a while, so I missed the airing of your new blog design...but I just wanted to let you know that I dig it. :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.