8.22.2012

Oh Hai!


So yesterday I mentioned that I had a special post scheduled.  This was it.  Sorry Randalin!  But I am not pregnant. But instead I wanted to tell you that today is Basil's birthday.  He is eight.  Actually I don't know when his exact date of birth is - but today is the day he joined our family.  A day a will never forget.

A quick synopsis - Basil was born somewhere on the streets of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam - probably sometime in late July or early August.  You see he was so malnourished by the time we got him that it was difficult to tell just how old he was.  Anyways - we paid about $6 for him - and he was worth every penny. 

He was so skinny.  Except for his protruding belly.  He was filthy.  He had fleas.  His ears were gigantic.  He was so odd looking - but I loved him so much.   He was full of character - and cattitude. 


Wait - back up!  Who is this ridiculous person?  Myspace balcony shot - no doubt.  This is summer 2004.  This was the start of our routine photo-shoots. Eight years going strong.  Fist paw bump - Basil! 

Anyways as I was saying before.  Basil was an ugly duckling.  But like most ugly ducklings he grew into a handsome man-cat. Don't you agree?


He grew into the most sophisticated cat ever.  He even gives Chuck Bass a run for his money.  I mean if Chuck Bass were a cat.  This cat wears a bow tie like it's nobodies business.  He's cuddly.  He's mean.  He's loyal.  He's stubborn.  He's the best cat in the world.  IN THE WORLD. 


Happy eighth birthday to my cat.  Yes - that is correct - I wrote a blog post dedicated to my cats birthday.  What would be 24 year old self be thinking? 

Do you celebrate your pets birthdays?  Please say yes - even to just make me feel better. 

28 comments:

  1. This is amazing Emily! Happy Birthday to Basil. That bow-tie picture gets me every time. Such a handsome guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I am all over it! We pick birthdays for ours- and STILL celebrate "Gotcha Day"s!! I can't get over baby Basil's giant ears- they are hilarious!! He really is dashing, though. Quite the gent.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Basil!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love him! He's the cutest! Happy birthday, Basil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yessss! Happy Birthday Basil!! Meow tiger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first and last photos are my absolute favourite. And yes, I totally laughed out loud.

    I love that there's another cat lady out there :) hahaha

    Happy birthday to Basil!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Basil!! You are definitely a handsome man-cat. Milo is still jealous of your bow tie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bow tie picture is just so cute! I think his eyes make the picture. Ha!

    (Happy Birthday Basil!)

    Lauren
    http://laurensweetnothings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, Happy Birthday to your main man. ;)

    We celebrate critter birthdays, too!

    By the way - I LOVE YOU WITH BROWN HAIR. Seriously. I just colored mine, and it makes me scared. I worry that I'll be more forgettable? If that makes sense. But E-ho with brown hair looks stunning, so you lucky girl, can go both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday, Basil!
    And yeah, I totally celebrate my pets' birthdays and I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BASIL!! Heck yeah he's handsome!! Is he single? My Mia is looking for a date!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baby Basil is SO FREAKING ADORABLE. I don't think he's an ugly duckling at all. I agree that he rocks that bow tie too!

    And I did a whole post for my dog on his 4th birthday and made it a puppy announcement post to say that I was getting another dog so I mean, I definitely get it. We embrace our weirdness instead of denying it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Basil! It's so great that you've had since since we was so young! I always love his Instagram appearances. :-) Happy birthday, Basil!

    For the record, posts dedicated solely about cats is absolutely acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beckham and I both wish Basil a happy birthday! We don't celebrate Beckham's adoption day as much as we should, but Ammon is determined that we'll hit it when it comes around next May.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AWWW!!! Happy Birthday to Basil!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a precious little kitty! I've been having the itch to get a kitten lately! Then I could make my own posts with LOLCat Language :) Stopping by fromt the GFC Blog Hop! New Follower.

    XO - AlisaMarie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been wanting to celebrate my dogs birthdays but I never have! What a crappy furmom I am. I just love this tribute to Basil- he is so darn cute- I think I love him most in a bowtie :)

    P.S. You look hot in your Myspace balcony shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hands down one of my favorite posts of yours ever. I want to hug you and Basil right now. Haha. I love that you saw his potential and loved him despite his big ears and fleas. He is so cute! Happy Birthday Basil!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a handsome cat! happy birthday to basil! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute Kitty pics!

    Following you now on GFC from the GFC Link Up. I'd love a follow back if you're not already. ;) Love it if you could link up to Weekend Blog Walk tomorrow afternoon (Friday- but we're up all weekend long!). http://www.athometake2.com.

    Jessica @ At Home Take 2

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm in love with this entire post! So much better than a preg announcement ;) I am all about the animal birthdays. And I still can't get over Basil in his bow tie. He rocks that shiz.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aww happy birthday Basil! I celebrate my cats birthday and his anniversary. He always has a fresh tuna steak on special occasions! In fact he has his own page on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. We celebrate Mia's birthday!! :)

    Happy Belated Birthday Basil!

    ReplyDelete
  23. awww how cute!! I celebrate my cats' birthdays too!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. mr. basil is adorable! my pup will be one year old on December 26th, i'll be celebrating for sure :)

    amanda @ liveday-by-day.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. The caption in the first picture is KILLING ME! Emily, you are so funny, you are the best!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.