9.03.2012

Wake Me Up When September Ends

Even though it still feels as though I am living on the planet sun - Labour day generally marks the end of summer.  All you summer lovers hoping, wishing, and begging to prolong the summer will probably disagree and will hold out to the official September 22 end date - but I am so done with summer.  Don't get me wrong - I love the short spurt of balmy weather we get to experience here in Ontario - but as expected I am dying for the crisp, refreshing fall air.   Though too short - fall is the perfect season.

However let's not forget that last May I set out some things that I wanted to accomplish this summer - because summer in Ontario often does flash before your eyes - and when it is the dead of winter I will be cursing the fact that I ever wished it away.  Because then I will be wishing for the painfully hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable summer weather we were blessed with this year.

Out of the seven things that I set out to do - I successfully completed 4.75 of these items.  What you don't count your near completions as a near success?  You should! 


1. I planted a flower garden - and then progressively forgot to water it.  It's official that I don't have a green thumb.  I also never did get around to planting my ever so coveted forget-me-nots.  Next year?  Maybe!

2.  I took a hike.  Several of them actually.  We managed to fit in a few hikes each camp trip.  The most memorable was our interpretative walk through Algonquin Park

3. I enjoyed a campfire.  And I enjoyed every second of it.  I even begged you all to rain dance for me - because I desperately didn't want to camp without a campfire.  Unfortunately I didn't ask soon enough because it did rain - but not enough to lift ban.  However - we survived our first camp trip sans fire - which made me want appreciate the awesomeness of a summer campfire even more.

4. I improved my campfire cooking skills.   To make camp meals more enjoyable - I experimented with cooking over the campfire - and on the Coleman stove.  My camp french toast is nearly perfected.


5(ish).  I printed and framed our wedding photos.  Well kind of.  I purchased and hung the frames.  That counts right?  I think it counts as .75 completion.

As I began thinking about fall - I started to think about all the things I want to do.  Fall is even shorter than summer.  And what comes after falls is much, much worse.  But fall is full of all my favourite activities - so I am determined to prolong it and enjoy every moment of it as best as possible.  Famous last words spoken by every procrastinator.

This is what I want to do this fall.  

1.  Go Fall Camping.  After two successful seasons of camping - I am ready to take on some cooler temperatures and enjoy the woods during the prettiest time of the year.  I want to bundle up with hot chocolate and marshmallows and enjoy the brisk breeze.  I have nearly convinced Steve that this is a good idea.  [Photo credit]

2. Go Apple Picking.  I haven't been since I was in grade school and I really enjoyed strawberry picking so much this year that apple picking has got to be just as fun. [Photo credit]

3. Host a Pumpkin Carving Party.  We hosted one last year and it was so much fun.  I want to do it all over again.

4. Host a Friends Thanksgiving Dinner.  Last year was my first time cooking a turkey - it turned out well - but my timing was all off.  I want to get better at this - and plus Thanksgiving is the best holiday so it's worth having more reasons to celebrate it. 

5. Perfect my Apple Pie Skills.  I make a good pie filling - but I struggle with the crust.  Since I will be going apple picking - I will need to use them up right? I really want to improve on my pastry making abilities.  I am going to be that lady with pies cooling in her kitchen window.  I had better get a new apron sewn up. 

What do you want to do this fall?

14 comments:

  1. I love friends Thanksgivings!! Reading your pre-thanksgiving post, totally just prompted me to go re-read my post about our friends' Thanksgiving last year.
    (awesome table decor, btw)

    Want to see a picture of Clare getting beat over the head with a sausage last Thanksgiving? I think you do!
    http://www.pricelessadventure.com/2011/11/90-natural-10-fresh.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That french toast looks AMAZING. My sad little bowl of frosted cheerios is crying just looking at it.
    Also...http://www.amazon.com/Pie-It-Forward-Galettes-Reinvented/dp/1584799633 She is amazing. Gesine Bullock-Prado, that is. I've been making my own pie crusts for a while, but her recipe for an all-butter crust (made in the food processor!!) is not only tastier than my trusty Betty Crocker shortening one, but it's EASIER. And she has a puff pastry recipe, too. Seriously- this book might change your pie-lovin' life. If you love pies. Well, if you don't love pies, it'll make you love them...
    4.75 is a rousing success, I say. Hurrah for E-Ho's summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, I did the same thing with my flower garden this year! Started off with such good intentions though! Lol I'm right there with you on needing to get my pie crust skills in order. Filling is so much easier :-) Visiting from the blog hop and new follower....jenn

    www.girldefyinggravity.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great fall to do list. Camping in the fall would be gorgeous. I don't think fall in Northern Ontario can be beat. I said fall a lot there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from the GFC blog hop, following you now.
    I hope you stop by.
    http://alderberryhill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list!! I want to make one too now! I know a fall drive through the canyons will be on there, I believe I am actually going fall camping, and I tooootally want to bake an apple pie! Last year was our first time hosting Thanksgiving, but we will probably head to his Mommas in CA. Maybe I will bring a pie and knock her socks off.

    P.s. I had a dream last night that we met in person!! Haha totally not creepy right??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a good freakin' song in your title! Love it. And also love that fall to do list that just made my heart all happy and giddy inside.

    Found you on the blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Campfire French toast? This looks amazing!!! Loving your fall list...definitely some of the same things on my own list. I'm with you wanting summer to just end already!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love parties, but I've yet to host a Thanksgiving party. The standard set by my grandma makes it a little scary for me to even think of attempting to provide such an epic feast on the scale that she would expect.
    And I've never even tried making a pie either, so you're a lot farther along than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I join you for your fall to-do list? It's my favorite season, all of that list looks really fun, and you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am totally with you when it comes to improving my apple pie skills! I am the same way, I can make an awesome filling, but when it comes to the crust...yea not so much!
    New follower from the blog hop :)

    Gina
    http://ramblesbygina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO much fun! :) I love your lists. I always think of making my own lists, like these, but can never narrow it down into things I'll actually do or be able to do. I'm a horrible decision maker.

    AND...I have a holiday-themed confession. I'm kind of excited about my new job in the restaurant business...because it means I'll have to work on holidays. Which means we won't be going home to spent Thanksgiving or Christmas with our families this year..it'll just be the two of us! Which, is sad, yes. But I'm also kind of excited about the ways we will end up celebrating...creating our own traditions! :) Just like you and your man!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All these pictures look amazing and now I want sweaters, boots, leaves, pumpkins :) So excited!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.