1.07.2013

The Transition


So between the Royal baby, the Jessica Simpson baby and the Kimye baby - Baby Hope (B-Ho) hasn't got a chance.  According to Kayne anyways.  I feel like these celebs totally stole my thunder.  And now that I am in sort of transition - I doubt my aspiring blogfame can even help us.  Sorry about that B-Ho!  Just an ordinary life for you. 

Anyways - I've been thinking about this blog - a lot.  I started Hope Squared to document my first year of marriage.  After that - I continued blogging as a way to document our experiences.  Our adventures.  Our day to day.  Somewhere along the way I got lost.  Keeping up with this blog started to feel more of a commitment than a hobby.  More than just a way to preserve our memories.  I got caught up in the blog-hype.  It's not surprising - it happens to me a lot.   

And then - I got pregnant.  And then I got morning, afternoon, evening and night sickness.  And then I became narcoleptic.  Falling asleep all.the.time.  and my little blog I had been slowly investing so much time and energy (and even my hard earned dollars) in - just didn't seem as important.  But I feel guilty.  I let people down.  And then I wonder - how did I ever let my little online journal ever get to that point?  The point where I feel bad when I don't post something.  When I don't return an e-mail.  When I don't live up to my word.  OK I should always feel bad when I don't live up to my word.  But why should I feel ever guilty for abandoning my hobby?  I don't want to ever look back on this blog and remind myself of how guilty I felt.  I should want to look back and remember WOW Basil was fat!!!  Or Man that Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese was outstanding!!!

And now - I feel like I am in some in between phase.  Where I want to document my pregnancy experience - but still want to tell you about how much I miss drinking beer and how cute my cat is.  Is my next destination to Mommy-Blog Ville?  I suppose it's the natural progression from newlywed blogger to lifestyle blogger to mommy blogger, right?  Maybe this is all part of the transition?  I am not even sure what I am talking about.  All I know - is that in six short months I am going to be someone's mom.  And truthfully that is a lot to swallow.  So I guess yes - I want to write about it.  I want to remember how I felt during these changes. Because pregnancy isn't only filled with cute baby bumps and excuses to be taken care of by your partner - it's filled with a lot of other things too.  A lot of things that aren't cute. 

So I guess what that means is that Hope Squared's next journey will be to transform from a beer guzzling, cat loving, couch sitting, TV watching blogger into some sort of domestic woman that carries a baby and drinks the occasional beer while fearing the dreaded moment when the cat and baby interact and then blogs about it. 

12 comments:

  1. Girl, we've all been through that. I often think "WHOA! CUT BACK AND GET BACK TO BLOGGING JUST TO BLOG!" --that's actually one of my resolutions. Just to blog more for me and less for sponsors and what not. I've cut down on everything. Even unfollowed a lot of people. Cleaned up my blogroll, my twitter feed, etc etc.

    Don't worry about being a "mommy blogger", just blog. Blog about your life-sometimes that'll include beer guzzling and sometimes that'll include cat meets baby. Document it all, Emily. they really grow up too fast! Blog to remember. Post pictures to share your life. Blog just to blog.
    (I really need to take my own advice)
    I am so excited for you guys! Babies are awesome!! And B-Ho is totally my celeb baby of the year! Kimye baby who?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read all about your baby experience! After all, I need to be prepared eventually so it's a good thing that you'll be tackling all of this stuff before I have to ;) And don't worry about what other people want to read lady. It's your blog. Do what you want. And you don't even need a label. Who cares what kind of blog you are? :) Oh and we should get dinner soon since we missed Korean the other night :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not quitting you, E-ho. While I may not read your "birth story" (assuming you post one), I enjoy your writing and conversation enough that I just feel excited that my friend's having a baby!


    Well. As long as we still get Basil pics here and there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally hear you girl! At some point, I had to decide that my blog was actually for me and my family memories, and I had to stop worrying that I'd lose followers if I wrote too much about my pregnancy haha. I plan to print all of my blog posts over the last nine months after she's born :-) I think it will be something she'll love when she's older!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only recently discovered you blog but I can't wait to follow you a long on this transitional journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stay true to you my friend. No pressure, but the blog world needs you. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well your blog has always been about whats going on with you - and this is whats going on with you... it will be fine.. i will read it all. Just write what you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's the thing I've always thought there was a difference between "mommy bloggers" and "moms with blogs." Mommy bloggers scare me a little. They seem to have a standard that if I ever became a parent would fall woefully short of. Whereas, moms with blogs, are just like everyone else. Trying to muttle their way through life while keeping themselves and their version 2.0 alive.

    BTW, I think you'll be a mom with a blog...and I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so going to stalk your little mommy-blog. It's going to be hilarious. Also, is there a single cat owner out there who isn't terrified of their cat and their newborn interacting someday??? It terrifies me, and I'm not even there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im in the same boat with where my blog will go. I want a mixture of both but idk if thats possible with baby on the brain all hours of the day.

    and OMG that picture has me dying laughing. you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. E-Ho!!! First of all - this post is awesome, because it's so completely honest and sincere. I'd be shitting my pants if I were in your shoes with a baby in my tummy - no lie. All bloggers have to transition at some point as their life changes. I kind of did a transition going from student blogger to lifestyle blogger (I think that's what I am? I don't even know). No matter what - this is your space and your blog - you decide what you want to write about and when. I used to feel guilty about skipping blogging days or not returning emails, but then I didn't, because I realized no one is paying me enough. Personally I'm very amused and curious of your situation, and really excited to read about baby/mommy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that your blog will change. It's good to evaluate why you want to blog, but the "objective" doesn't always need to be the same. Last year it was to document marriage, this year it's to document pregnancy, in 2 years it will be to vent about B-Ho coloring on the walls! I love your blog, because it's changes like you do! I always get that guilt feeling when I don't post. It's funny the attachment we build to reading updates. I hope you start feeling a bit better! Tell B-Ho to knock off the "make mom sick" trimester!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by Hope Squared. If you like the things I have to say - I would love to read what you have to say.