Weight/Height: I imagine she's roughly the same weight and height as last month - since she's become so active but she may have sprouted a little in height since all her 6-12 month pants are now basically capris.
Clothes: We are officially in 12-18 month clothing, for most brands. But most 12 month stuff fits Eila perfectly. It's a little bittersweet - I am sad that I don't get to shop for tiny clothes anymore, all the outfits just look cuter when they are three times smaller but then I am excited that I can now shop in the toddler section. I didn't even know this existed before. AND we are still fitting perfectly in size three diapers. Actually I never know when to size up - the box says they are good up until 28 pounds so I imagine we'll be in size three for awhile. Well I hope so because we still have a box and a half on the go.
Eating & SleepingEating: We are still nursing pretty regularly. This month Eila decided that she no longer wanted to nurse from my left side. It's been a rough go on that side since the beginning - but the last week she has started flat out refusing it. I still try to offer and sometimes, but very rarely, she'll accept it. Our nursing sessions still mostly occur during the night and in the morning. Our daytime feeds are usually snacks on top of her breakfast/lunch and dinner.
As for solids - Eila really stepped it up in eating this month. Every meals she eats more and more. And it's just amazing to watch her work through different foods. The only gagging we get is when she takes a bite that's too big and she doesn't chew it enough (pretty much like the rest of the population). However eating isn't any less messy - it's probably even messier. When Eila is finished she'll clear her tray. I try to catch her cues early, when she starts dropping pieces over the side, but most times she just swipes her hands and things go flying. It's messy business - but it's worth it since she has already in such a short time become a much better eater.
Sleeping: I am so happy that spring has decided to pop in and out this month because Eila and I have discovered the awesomeness of stroller napping. It's the best. We usually head out for an afternoon walk - and Eila takes a long snooze in her stroller. It's been awesome - for both us. Other than that napping is still a struggle most days - and night time sleeping is still going strong. Eila is only getting up once on a normal night to eat - and if it's been a busy day she'll be up twice.
Routine & Milestones
Routine: Eila is pretty consistent with her own routine - but we don't let it rule our day. There is still some flexibility in there. I am sure if I was more diligent Eila might be a better napper - but this works for us and keep us both happy. Eila usually starts her day anywhere from the moment the sunrises - but usually she's up like clockwork at 7 a.m. Usually we let her play for an hour in bed - Steve and I will take turns keeping an eye on her. She'll bounce around between us - until we can't take it anymore and get out of bed.
From there we usually play a bit in the living room, watch PBS kids, mom drinks a coffee and then we settle in for her morning nap. Her morning nap is anywhere between 8-10. This all depends on what time she woke up at and is the shortest nap ever. The longest she sleeps in the morning is 30 minutes. I am envious of all the long napping babies. Once she wakes up we move on to breakfast and then we get washed up and ready for the day. This usually brings us to 11 or 12. It's crazy just how fast our mornings pass us by. Usually we'll head out from there - or just stay in if the weather is crappy. Anywhere between 1-3 she'll take her second nap. Sometimes we have lunch before or after the nap - it really depends on how late into the afternoon we are getting.
Usually around 4 we head to the kitchen and decide what's for dinner. Steve gets home around 6 and from there we eat dinner and then Steve takes over the bath and bedtime routine. It's been working for us - but I know come June we are going to have to get into the swing of a brand new routine.
- New Vocabulary: Eila added two new words into her rotation - up and cat. No one was surprised when she said cat. However every single animal is a cat - but it's a start. Whenever she sees the cat she exclaims "CA-AT" and then prompt her to give the cat a kiss. And as she kisses the cat - my heart explodes. Eila also says "up". She says it a lot. When she's about to pull her self up she'll say "up" when she is done eating she'll say "up" when she is just playing she'll say "Up, Up, Up, Up" x 1000. It's amazing watching her figure out words and their meanings.
- New Teeth: I remember a few months back before Eila got any teeth if she'd ever cut a tooth - well to our surprise Eila now has seven teeth. One morning I noticed that the lower right lateral incisor was through - she didn't make a peep however just shortly after that she cut both the upper left central and upper left lateral incisors which again were a struggle. I thought there might be some rest - but it looks like she is teething again since she started chewing. Lady is going to have a mouthful by the time she is one.
- Grinning: Man I thought Eila's smile was cute before - but then she started crinkly nose grinning and my heart melted into a giant puddle on the floor. OMG there is nothing cuter than that grin. Seriously.
- Waving & High Fiving: My favourite thing to say to Eila is "high five mama" and then she does it and it's awesome and I feel like my job as a parent is complete. And then one day she just started waving. It's not like a frantic wave - she just lifts up her hand in a casual "hey man how you doing?" kind of wave and it's completely adorable.
Social & EventsSocial: My little lady is a social butterfly. She loves, loves, loves people - especially babies. I have really noticed her interest in people this month. It's really helped me feel more comfortable that she is going to adjust to daycare like a rockstar - while her mom is in her office weeping into her morning coffee. It's so funny that at the beginning I thought she was shy - she is still a little slow to warm but once she does she takes the room by storm. A few weeks ago I went to Sprouts (our local indoor playground hangout) and Eila just crawled up to a group of moms and sat with them. It was hilarious.
- Attended a First Birthday Party: When I got the invitation to a birthday party from one of our playdate mamas for her son's, Hugo, first birthday I was so excited. I realized at that moment that I have a baby - and she is getting invited to birthday parties. It was a special moment. And then we attended and Eila had a blast. Apparently she is a party animal like her mama.
Favourite ThingsBaby Gear/Toys: This is definitely not my favourite toy - but Eila is obsessed with playing with it. The Fisher Price Laugh and Learn Love to Play Lil' Sis. My sister brought it over one day when she came to visit - so we opened it up and Eila played with it here and there. However lately - it's one of the toys that she consistently plays with. I don't know if it's the music - the fact that it talks to her - but she loves it. She drags it around by it's ear. I can tell you that I am excited for the day that the batteries die (or disappear). It's crazy - it starts one thing and then if you hit another part of it - it just moves onto the other thing. Why doesn't it just finish what it's doing first? It makes me feel scattered and crazy - but Eila loves it - so I suffer (out of love).
- Orange slices: I've blogged about this a few times now - but Eila is an orange lover. I had no doubts. Now we just need to move into a climate where oranges grow wild.
- Playing with all the stuffies: Not only does Eila love that Fisher Price dog - she also loves stuffies in general. We have a large basket filled with them (where did they all come from anyways?) and she takes her time going through the basket playing with each of them. Needless to say they are ALWAYS all over the floor.
- The Cat: Yes - Eila is still madly in love with Basil. Now when she sees him she says "CA-AT" and then nothing else matters - she has to get to him. It doesn't matter what she's doing - the cat is her king - she is basically Elmyra
Favourite Pictures from the Month
(I took more but my camera battery died before I could move them over)